Last year's goals
- Study Genesis in depth - this goal was mostly met. I read all of Genesis in multiple translations but only completed the in-depth study on the first half.
- Keep reading the Bible every single morning - success! I think I only missed 3 or 4 days all year. This morning time with God is vital.
- Start a prayer journal - failed. Completely.
This year's goals
- Start a prayer journal. I really need to put a priority on this as I think it will make a huge difference in my prayer life.
- Memorize 52 verses. I want to memorize 52 different verses of Scripture this year, one each week. That is a doable goal, one that I only need to commit myself to.
- Increase the amount of time I spend reading the Bible every morning. Most mornings, I read two chapters. This only takes 10 minutes or so. I need to read more each morning and spend more time contemplating God's word.
My 30 day challenge this month relates to this last goal. I have committed to starting the year off with God's word, reading nothing but God's word. For the next 30 days, the Bible will be my only book. I really enjoyed my month of nonfiction last month, but I want to spend more time with God. When I start looking around the house for a book to read while I have a few minutes of downtime, I will pick up the Bible. When I read before going to sleep, I will pick up the Bible. I think this challenge will be both difficult and rewarding.
As today is Sunday, it's time to pick the verse I'll be memorizing this week.
I will trust and not be afraid;
for the LORD GOD is my strength and song
What are your spiritual goals for 2012?