When I started thinking of ways that hubby and I support green living, I was surprised at how many small changes we've implemented.
- Use a water filter instead of buying bottled water
- Bought a reusable water bottle to regulate my daily intake
- Started walking to the store/bank/post office to minimize driving and gas consumption
- Reuse plastic shopping bags to clean out the cat box
- Sometimes ask for paper bags. We store all our recyclables in a paper bag and then throw the entire bag into the recycle bins
- We've started printing on both sides of paper
This website is a great resource to get involved and learn more. Green Living Tips is another great resource. Sign up for their free e-newsletter and they will plant a new tree.
According to the ecological footprint quiz, I need to reduce my carbon footprint. If everyone lived like me, we would need 3.2 planet earths to provide enough resources. I use 14.3 global acres of land and produce 15.7 tons of carbon dioxide. Looks like I still have some work to do!
- Buy locally if possible
- Visit the farmers market during the summer. They have great homemade salsas!
- Switch to reusable shopping bags
- Reduce our dependency on electricity - hand wash dishes as much as possible, use clothes dryer less
- Eliminate dairy products
- Recycle more